The roadhouse takes its name from the Tjukayirla Rockholes, situated at the southwest end of the campground. Adjacent to the rockholes is the Paine and Barclay Surveyor marker which was placed by the surveyors in early 1930s during the original survey route to Warburton.
There is a large variety of wildlife in the area, at times dingos, emus, kangaroos and camels as well as a large variety of birds can be seen around the roadhouse.
A breakaway on the southern side of the Roadhouse is affectionately known as ‘The Zoo’, due to the animal faces take can be see in the shapes of the rocks, including an Elephant.
Empress Springs are located 60km north along the David Carnegie Rd, the junction of which is along the Great Central Rd 15km west of the roadhouse. The road is marked as 4WD only. The springs are inside a cave, access is via a chain ladder and there is a visitors book inside the cave.
Regular Trading Hours
- Monday to Friday - 9:00am to 5:00pm (WST)
- Saturday and Sunday - 9:00am to 3:00pm (WST)
- Public Holidays - 9:00am to 12:00 noon (WST)*
* Please note that none of the roadhouses across the Great Central Rd are open in the evenings. We advise checking the opening hours of each roadhouse prior to travel, especially if travelling on a public holiday.
Public Holiday Hours
- Good Friday 29/3/2024 – Closed – No After Hours
- Christmas Day – Closed – No After Hours
- New Years Day – Closed – No After Hours
- All Other Public Holidays 9am to Noon – No After Hours
To enter the Ngaanyatjarra Lands visitors require an entry permit. It is also necessary to have a transit permit when travelling through the Lands by road.
The application process is simple and free. You can download a permit information and application pack (PDF format) by clicking on the image below.
Information Updated : 08/02/2024
Road Conditions : Road is now open to all, graders are out both sides of Tjukayirla, please drive with care.
Weather Information : Temp in 30s to 40c. Back to that warming trend again. Don't forget to drink plenty of water.
Fuel Prices :
Diesel - $ 3.40 per litre
Opal* - $ 3.40 per litre
* Opal is replacement for unleaded petrol. Read more about Opal fuel by clicking here